Üselitz Manor is situated in the village of Poseritz in the south of the island of Rügen, close to the Hanseatic town of Stralsund.
The Manor House is situated within park-like grounds that are likewise protected by a preservation order. In the grounds you will find fruit trees, some more than one hundred years old, which continue to bear apples, pears, plums, nuts and other fruits.
The foundation walls of the old barns dating back to when Üselitz Manor was used for agricultural purposes have been made visible again. The view from the house and park benefits on all sides from its direct waterside situation.
The “Üselitzer Wiek”, a shallow seawater bay in the south of Rügen that is a natural conservation area, surrounds Üselitz Manor on all sides. The Wiek was drained in the 1920s to gain additional agricultural acreage. As part of efforts to restore the original natural environment when the new Rügen bridge was constructed in 2007, the Wiek was flooded again in 2011. As a result, new life has been breathed into this original water landscape.
The water surrounding Üselitz Manor not only puts on spectacular displays of light and colour at all times of the year; it has also become a refuge for all kinds of species of birds, including cranes, herons, cormorants, grey geese and ducks.
Thanks to the Manor House and the water, life for humans and animals alike has returned to Üselitz. Find out in the sections Apartments and Weddings & celebrations how you can also experience this special place.
Until the Manor House and its surrounding water landscape were restored in 2017, Üselitz Manor experienced an extremely turbulent history.
The first official mention of the name Üselitz was in 1311. The Manor House was built by the von Zuhm family circa 1553. From 1644, Üselitz Manor changed hands several times until the von Veltheim family, which acquired it in 1939, was dispossessed of the property in 1945.
Subsequently, the Manor House became a place of refuge that at times was home to as many as 20 families and a total of around 90 people. The interior of the house was also adapted for this purpose. Once the last residents had left in 1968, the house was badly damaged by looters and vandals, and by the lack of maintenance.
In around 1970 the roof finally fell in. Although a preservation order was placed on the Manor House in 1975, it was nonetheless used by police and military units as a shooting range in subsequent years, with the result that only the external walls of this former Renaissance stately home ultimately remained.
In 1998, Üselitz Manor was sold to the present owner by the local parish. Work to clear and secure the site began in 2000. Üselitz Wiek, the seawater bay that had been drained in the 1920s, was reflooded as part of efforts to restore the landscape to its natural state. The actual process of rebuilding the Manor House and restoring those historic elements that had been preserved began in 2011. With the support of the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments, the village of Poseritz, the local district and the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Üselitz Manor was gradually restored to its former glory. Work on the Manor House was completed in early 2018.